10 Things a Thirty-Something Must-Haves



So you’ve just turned 30 or you’re about to be 30. You must be very excited what life has in store for you as you are entering this new phase of adulthood--- saying goodbye to your 20’s and saying hello to your three decades of existence, cheers! So here’s my own version of 30-something must haves.




1.       Journal. Well, this isn’t new. I can still remember one of colleagues laughed at me when he saw me writing on my journal. He couldn’t believe I still keep “diary” these days. And I told him I couldn’t believe he doesn’t have one. I actually have three journals. The first book is for my schedule, bills and expenses that’s why I call it “Secretary”. The second journal is my day-to-day thoughts and I call it “Highlights”. This is where I actually reflect on what happened throughout the day. The last journal I keep is “Live the Dream” journal. This is where I actually put on my vision board, positive declarations that I actually recite in the morning and before I end my day.

Whatever is on my “Live the Dream” book is basically between me and G-d. It stays in my bedroom inside a special box which only I can open. The first journal “Secretary” is what I bring anywhere I go to. It’s small enough to fit in regular tote bag. The “Highlights” notebook actually stays on my bed. It is to teach myself the habit of writing every night and basically reflecting on what happened to me during the day.

However, if the idea of journaling is new to you, you may start with one journal. But if you are already keeping one, then good for you. You may now move on to number two.






2.       Spiritual Renewal. We are caught up by daily work tasks, deadlines and family matters that we never really make time for spiritual things. Well I think you’ve given enough time discovering yourself and people around you in your 20's so why don’t you make one good investment of your time? In what matters the most, your spiritual renewal. I don’t mean that you should be religious or something, but if you can find way to actually make an activity to somehow renew or recharge your spiritual life, then do it because there's a lot of benefits from it; from being physically and mentally healthy and the list goes on.

It’s no secret that most of these days' complicated diseases are because of anxiety and stress. And making time to simply pause and pray, maybe hearing bible audio or faith building messages and podcasts can definitely strengthen one's faith. Faith comes by hearing and faith weakens, (or worse goes) without hearing it. There are many ways to renew your spirit that will not even cost you a single cent.





I recently commit to following the biblical diet (not eating unclean food) and it brings dramatic positivity in my life. You can also practice shooting prayers to strangers (I do this inside the train, wishing my co-passengers well). Spirit Renewal is just so broad and it could be different for everyone. Sometimes, it can be as simple as forgiving.

The thing about spiritual renewal is it boosts positivity and can make you feel lighter. Reducing stress is a great way to avoid yourself from serious illnesses. Renewal of spirit is making you feel good from within and it simply manifests on your physical body. It’s like hitting two birds with one stone.








3.       Healthy Habit. The normal lifespan of people nowadays is 70-80.  One of the best investments you owe to yourself is your health. It doesn’t really mean that you have to spend for an executive check-up (although that would be awesome). Investing in your health could be as cheap as you can imagine, it’s almost free. You may simply take a 30-minute walk everyday, get some avocado leaves and make a tea out of it, or make some fruit and vegetable juices. It’s plain and simple. But the name of the game is consistency. Form a healthy habit that you can actually commit on doing for at least 21 days. Then maybe you can add more healthy habits as you go along. They say health is wealth and no one can argue on that.




4.       Fashion Statement. A new set of wardrobe? Yes. Maybe you think it’s capricious. Well, I think it’s necessary. It doesn’t have to be all branded and designer’s (although that would be lovely). But I think it’s about time that you have a new set of clothes that would reflect more like the kind of person that you want to be in the next five years. They say you have to dress for the job that you want, well, I say you fake it until you make it. Dressing up has a lot impact on feeling good about oneself.

You may picture what kind of successful person you want to be in the future and think how does that person dress? And you may actually buy clothes reflecting the future you with a touch of your own personality.

For a beginner, do you know that 3 new tops and 3 bottoms actually give you nine different outfits? Now, how’s that?




5.       Money Machine. You’re thirty and you must now have a clear knowledge about what kind of person you are, your dreams and future plans and even your dream lifestyle. It’s also high time for you to make an investment. Create your own money machine that gives you profit. Your capital doesn’t really have to be a huge amount of money. It could be anything that will generate money on its own which profit would go to your savings account that you will not even touch. Unless for another investment.

An example could be a baking stove, where you can bake on your free time and make profit out of it. If you still doubt the possibility of turning your creativity to potential earning, then I dare you try it and see the phenomenal results.



6.       Savings. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have savings. And I wish I knew this sooner. I really learned the hard way when it comes to saving money. I tend to over spend what I earn knowing I will have my salary again next month and it kept my status quo financially. What I did is I actually opened three savings accounts. The first one is my last resort, the second is my depositing account, and the last one is the invisible account.


Whatever I put to my “last resort” savings account is money I can only withdraw in case of emergency. The second account is where the profit of my business goes to which is untouchable unless I will have another investment. The third one is the invisible account which I don’t even touch, whatever happens, where a huge chunk of my paycheck goes to. Spending is really addictive but saving money is just as addictive. You really have to try it for yourself.


7.       Circle. I realized that as I grow older, my circle becomes smaller. And I think by this time, you already know who are the real ones worth keeping. As I am bidding goodbye to my 20’s I am also saying goodbye to people who doesn’t even make me feel good about myself. As I age, I learn to stop forcing things. I am just happy with the few real friends I’ve got. I’m 30, what’s the point of pleasing people who don’t even like me? It’s just wasting my time and energy.


I don’t close my door to new people though and I think that this is the best age to interact with people who share the same interest. Attracting and keeping people who believe in you and have time to listen to your dreams regardless of how silly and laughable it may seem, is one gift you can ever give to yourself. These people are real gem. They instantly recharge your energy resulting to good vibes.



In the midst of stress from work, I think it helps to have a consistent date with friends at least once or twice a month, discovering new places and restaurants. Be with people who are eager to witness you succeed and leave the ones who don’t care about your personal growth.







8.       Charity Work. I bet everyone wants to do charity work one way or another but thinking about it is somehow discouraging because it’s costly and time consuming. Well, it doesn’t really have to be expensive. You don’t have to be the richest man on earth to be able to share. Sometimes, it doesn’t even cost you anything. You can just look for some old stuff you no longer use that can still be beneficial to others. Old clothes, shoes, etc. You may sell them and donate the money out of it, or donate your old stuff. There are many ways to help without spending a lot. You don’t even have to go anywhere. Decluttering your house can actually help people in need. So which room in your house will you start decluttering?




9.       Maximizing Your Potentials. You’ve been working all your life in your 20’s, sitting on your swivel chair, exerting all your energy so you may retire in your 60’s. But is this really what you want to do? If the answer is yes, well, then good for you. But what most people don’t understand is landing a stable job is only one thing. Now, following what you are truly passionate about is an achievement of a lifetime.

If you are going to ask me what sure investment is, I’d tell you it’s investment in yourself. Investments in self-improvement could never go wrong. Invest something you believe you are good at, enhance that skills, and be an expert on the field you've always loved to be in. It is the only way to maximize your potential. Enroll in short courses; self-improvement course, or anything that interests you.




Sometimes, it’s not enough to just have the talent. The world becomes more and more competitive and you have to always upgrade your skills. You know the difference between successful and unsuccessful people? The sense of being fit for the job.




Some people think that self-improvement comes after success, but actually, it’s the other way around. You have to become more so you may seize opportunities or even create one. Improve while you still can. Buy that book. Enroll in that course. Keep your dreams in sight and your body motivated. So when another opportunity comes, you’ll be ready to seize it. Sweet.






10.   Travel Destinations. So how many times do you actually travel in a year? I didn’t really get to travel as much as I wanted to for two reasons; scary and expensive. At least that’s what I used to think. Well, not anymore. I have discovered a lot of cheap tours available online. You may also ask some friends on the best place to go with your budget. Or maybe find the destination you want and see how much it’s gonna cost you. The thing is you’ll never know until you try. Honestly, have I known these cheap ways to travel (bag packer way), I could have been to a lot of places by now.


Finding the right travel buddy is one more thing. But if you feel like going alone, then you may also do that. In fact, I think that the most significant reflections I had in my life were those times I traveled by myself. I also get to meet new people and discover myself more.



So, just check out for your dream destination, estimate the cost, and prepare ahead of time. There’s this beauty about travelling that gives your spirit an exquisite feeling of freedom and independence. And it feels damn good.



Disclaimer: The images used in this blog's posts are found from different sources all over the internet and are used for illustrative purposes only.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excellence is Not an Act

A Love Story

Sunset Story