Sunset Story


“When you look at this picture, what do you see?”, asked a middle-aged man.  I was surprised when he approached me and asked me this question out of the blue.  Before I looked at the picture, I stared at him.  He seemed familiar but I cant recall where I saw him.  Maybe I met him somewhere, maybe an old friend, an acquaintance or something.  He caught me off-guard with his friendly smile, meek appearance yet full of wisdom.  He looks ordinary, wearing jeans and a shirt but he seems not from this place. He is different from everyone else around me, or at least  my vibes would tell me so.

I looked at the picture and I said, it is a beautiful sunset.  I told him that he is a good photographer.  He smiled, thanked me and asked me again what do I see.  Then I took the picture from his hands and sat down and begin to examine closely the picture.  I told him that I can see many things.  The water is calm, the sky is a bit dark and it may rain.  I can see a fisherman trying to make a living, catching some fish maybe to feed his family.  I see some ships leaving the harbour nearby while a couple of ships are arriving.  “Very good” he quipped.  What else do you see? asked the man.  I looked at the picture intently and I noticed the cross-like image of the light.  I told the man about it and he smiled.  He tapped my back with sense of approval.  He further queried if I see anything else and I said nothing else.  The man asked me to sit down and I did.  He then started to explain the wisdom behind the picture.   

The picture paints a thousand words and it shows many things to people but there is more to it, a story behind each picture that no one knows except the one who took it.  People appreciate the beauty in what they see but no one bothers to know what is going on around it.  They only see a fraction of the real story.  

I got intrigued and I asked him what is the story behind the picture. The man smiled and said, I’m glad you asked.  

Behind the picture are two lovers who met in time.  They are two different people from different places with different backgrounds, culture, interests, crowd and all.  In the fluke of time and a glitch in history, they met in a very unusual way.  It was never easy for both of them and there is no way that they will like each other but they did anyway.  They have the same temperaments that is why they clash all the time.  Both have superiority and inferiority complexes.  They are both egotistic, self-centred at times but both have a big heart for others.  Their kindness towards the poor and needy are commendable.  Interestingly enough, they have the same passion in spiritual stuff and in politics as well but they clash in almost every topic in life.  Many threats of goodbyes were uttered even before they met.  There is no way that this two people will last an hour, much more a day without a fight yet I have never seen a couple who love each other like there is no tomorrow.  When they kissed and hug each other, its almost like there is no end.

However, just like everything else, it has to end, not because they want to but because they have missions to fulfill and responsibilities to perform.  The picture was taken a few days before they parted ways.  Behind the picture are these two lovers sitting in the concrete barrier running along the boulevard.  They were resting after a long walk in the nearby park and a tour with a horse-carriage among the old Spanish structures and ruins on the ancient times.  It was a fun ride and the most romantic one can ever ask for.

The place is not really perfect the way it is.  The smell from the sea is not the most pleasant, maybe because of the pollution.  You can see the garbage everywhere, among the rocks with insects flying by.  A lot of junkies can also be seen walking around the area, not a perfect place for a romance.  Noticing that the lady is somehow uncomfortable with all these things, the man asked her lady what can she see? Are you noticing all these garbages, the smell, insects, the junkies….yet what we have now is the most beautiful sunset in the world.  She replied that she didn’t realize the beauty of the sunset because she is with the most awesome human being that has ever been alive.  The man may have showed wisdom to see the beauty beyond imperfection but the woman saw the love beyond that beauty, showing that love surpasses wisdom.

I was awed by the man’s story.  Before I was able to say anything, he begins to walk away from me, walking towards the path walk and he sat down in the concrete barrier.  I asked him whether it is the same place where the picture was taken and he said yes.  I was a bit hesitant to ask but I asked him anyway whether he is the man in the story and he nodded.  He told me that picture was taken many years ago and he is still waiting that one day, his girl, his loved one will show up one day.  I tapped his back and said, I’m sure she will…for her love will surpass the wisdom that you have.  She loves you more than you can think, more than you can imagine.  You’ll have her again….somewhere in time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excellence is Not an Act

A Love Story